Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Olympics and Disability

During the Olympics I happened to catch one of Oscar Pistorius' races on replay.   I was watching the heavily produced NBC prime-time coverage with family and friends and it brought up a healthy debate.  For those under a rock, four years ago the decision that was made to allow an athlete, South African Spriter Oscar Pistorius, who runs on metal blades, to compete in the Olympics (as well as in the Paralympics).

I could be a little biased in my opinion on this issue because I spend most of my working days as an Occupational Therapist.  My goal as an OT is to help people be more functional in their everyday lives, and what is more functional that being an Olympic athlete!


I happened upon this article from the Huffington Post and I think it encourages all of us in the Rehabilitation field to work harder to help our patients work and live at their maximum potential.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-stanhope/oscar-pistorius_b_1758065.html

No comments:

Post a Comment